Friday 15 July 2016

Spread Like the birds dropping......

So called weed shown by Kandan. Actually,
 this seed is something I brought from Pune

I just wanted to give the title "Resourceful intervention on bio-diversity" for this short note. But later simplified into "Birds Dropping" or even better "Birds Poo". Both mean the same.  Birds fly across the landscape, eat fruits and drop the seeds all over the place helping spread bio-diversity.

On my visit to farm last month, during the walk around, Kandan pointed out to some new "weeds" growing around Banana trees.  They were in abundance. Near the windpump they were getting plenty of water and hence was healthy.  I would have taken it lightly except for the message Subbu told. He said, "this kind of plant is not a native to this place sir".

That scared me..  I must be the culprit.  I had inadvertently brought some species from my workplace some 1400 Kms away which happens to be a weed.  So thinking I started asking my agriculture friends. To my surprise they all said this is a common green in some farms and is native only. Used sparingly it will enhance milk secretion for women after child birth. Taken more, it may cause loose motion.  I am relieved.  Subbu must be ignorant.

Phew ! That was only a luck. What if I had introduced without knowledge an invasive weed in my enthusiasm?  I must be careful in my selection.

In another place on the farm they shows another plant which did not belong to native. And another wine. and so on.  I remember these are plants that I collected from the outscrits of Maharashtra - wild plants and not necessarily exotic.  I generally like herbs which are strange looking, self reliant and host to wildlife.




Looks like my point forest is succesful.  Earlier I had invented a concept called "point forest" (Click here). That was last year when I downloaded all the collected seeds and asked Subbu to make a small circle and confine it... After lot of follow up (because he was sceptical and thought it is waste of time) and pressure from me  he finally arranged bricks in small sqare pit.   Just like a "Homa Gunda" of Hindu ritual.  He put all seeds into it. Did not water it properly.  Over a period of time when the pond was expanded JCB destroyed it without a trace.


All my hard work of collecting the seeds went down the drain, I thought.  Seems No.  Not at all.  I guess those seeds are now washed off to far away place in the farm and are growing in favorable conditions.  Some where here and there I can spot those plants that I wanted to grow.  I guess with few more rains and seasons, we can find more of the species here and there.

Hope and Hard work does pay..





No comments:

Post a Comment