Monday 7 July 2014

How to get a Swale dug through Subbu ?

A typical Swale. The man is doing manually.
We will use JCB. Courtesy : Net
Theory is over. We had planned for a Swale since long (Refer earlier posts). Now for action.  Today Subbu was in Valliyoor town for a work. I asked him to visit a browsing center and sent him few photographs, which I downloaded from Net. And took an online "class" and how a Swale should look like after finish. This online coaching saved me a lot of efforts.

Earlier I had spoken to the JCB operator by drawing a diagram on the sand with my fingers. I donot know if he understood. He must have thought what this crazy guy is telling.  But this time for sure, I made Subbu take printouts and spend quality time with the JCB operator. Sort of briefing session before action.

Swale Concept from Net

The swale cutting should be lower on one side from where water enters and higher on other side not to allow water to escape. It must be deep to contain water. The overflow of water should go to a small pond that we are yet to dig along with swale.

Tomorrow bulldoser is coming. Hopefully they will do what I said. let us see.

It is important for me to close this quickly. There will be monsoon next month and once it starts rain, you cannot dig.

A JCB would cost around 750/- per hour for rent. Add Rs. 300 Bata to driver. If we do for 5 hours, it is going to cost 5 X 750 + 300 = 4050.

Last couple of months back on 2nd of May, when it rained during summer, there was water stagnation in Farm land all over. That was a learning. I called for some photographs to understand where the water is collecting. Subbu had made some temperory mud bund to contain the water, which he said was useful for 10 days after the rain.  We need to catch on this concept. I am now planning a swale exactly to the right of the mud bund so that we donot allow the water to go and spoil the interior but hold the water to the periphery of the farm.

Subbu's attempt to hold the water in May during a rare shower. Notice the dry grass all over in peak summer.






No comments:

Post a Comment