Tuesday 30 September 2014

I want more Green on leaves

Myself and Subbu finalised some action items to be executed right away:

Seeds had been purchased from a nearby mom and pop store. Total cost was Rs. 850 and runs like a grocery list for a medium size family. The quantity ranges from half kg to 2 Kg depending on purchasing mood.  This will be soaked in Panjagavya tomorrow. The day after, this will be spread across around half an acre of farm. "Should i have to mix all the seeds?"  Subbu reconfirmed atleast 5 times with me.  I guess this will not be eaten away by birds because it will be coated with cowdung and cowurine. Who knows ?  However I told subbu, even if birds visit, it is good as we will get bird droppings from them. Probably some rare seeds too from their gut.  It will be win-win for both of us.

These seeds will be spread on the farm, after 45 days to be smashed by light tilling. Total cost of above is Rs. 850/- 

Subbu raised alarm that it is time for us to manure the banana plants. I told him that we will apply only organic fertilisers. He said generally farmers apply Urea and Super phosphate which will give instant result and make the leaves green.  I said "Yes it will make more green, invite insects and then he will take the pesticide spray gun also and kill the soil", to which he laughed.  It is time that I translate all the organic inputs into poster size sheets and send it across for ready reference for him. I must group these into Organic Fertiliser, organic pesticides and Organic growth boosters.

He was particular that I prescribe him a Fertiliser that will make the leaf "green". He was obsessed about making the leaf dark green.  Years of conditioning of the farmers into believing that chemical fertilisers are mandatory was working on his brain.   I think he must also be fearing the comment from perhaps a fellow farmer about the not-so-green banana leaf and what he has to reply in case he is ridiculed. I said don't worry, we will fix it. Apply more Jeevamrutham for now.  Nothing will happen if the leaf is not dark green. Let it be natural in the way it is.

Continuing our topic, I said we need loads of cowdung and cowurine. Presently only a small quantity is being fetched, enough for mixing panjagavya once in 15 days.  I told we need to make daily sorties in all directions to collect these from nearby cow sheds. It is the job of Kandan to bring Cowdung and Cowurine. We both imagined kandan with his bicycle pushing with loads of dung. He has still not learned bicycle. I lost faith if he will ever.    I told let us buy the cowdung from nearby cowshed. From the lady who worked in our farm. Let us pay some 500/- per month and take all the cowdung and cow urine. That sounds like a good deal.

There is a portion of a farm which is near the gate that is sterile. That is a lifeless clay and sand Nothing grows in it. I gave a challenge. Take a small portion and keep applying panjagavya regularly. let us see if it turns good. I hope with addition of biomass, any type of soil can be converted. I have experimented this in a flowerpot which had got pollutted with soap water and fabric conditioner. Today that pot fertile with flowering plants.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment