Wednesday 2 May 2018

Sprinkler - No big deal

Coming back to my dream of growing vegetables.   Subbu, for that matter anyone who hears me always tries to give impression that growing vegetables as a difficult task. Therefore they avoid, they postpone, they donot give attention to my "n" number of lectures. But I am not going to give up.

I know and  I suspected that on the ground,  Subbu would not have made enough attempt even after several iterations of my interaction over phone.

Luckily I had opportunity to visit the farm last week in person (refer last post).  The team over there had fixed the ground in a hurry,  readied the farm with brinjal, beans and other saplings because I am coming.    I knew this and smiled.

What I saw was disappointing. Tomato, chilli, brinjal plants were so tiny, planted far away from each other and seldom watered. However the basic ground was ready for vegetables. All we need to do is sustain. It was waiting for a proper watering solution.

I took Subbu to Tirunelveli (nearby town) and purchased 3 sprinklers right away. Each cost around 600/-.  I also brought an electronic weighing machine which can weigh upto 20 KG. We also enquired about 1 HP or 3 HP pumps for driving force to drive the sprinklers or rain gun in future.  It looks like a decent monobloc pump would cost around 6K. I wanted to atleast make the sprinkler up and running before I leave. I wanted to ensure all spares are purchased like bent pipe etc. Because Subbu is famous for leaving a job half done. We returned in bus by 11 PM.

In future if this is successful I want to go for rain gun. It costs around 7K for the metal one and another 2K for the stand.  It will be a project of 15K to secure everything. I hope this will be useful to wet the farm in all nook and corners from one place.  The idea is to fill the cement tank from borewell. Then pump the cement tank water using minimum force for irrigation.

The sprinklers would have to be welded on tripod stand.  Back in farm, next day Paramu and Kandan went into action. While we were waiting in shade, these guys went about setting up the sprinkler with existing pipe to be driven with pressure from submercible pump.  It worked.

Subbu came and pitched a stump. Paramu tied the sprinkler to the stump. Lo it worked.  We enjoyed it rotating for quite some time, measured how much radius it covers with water etc and returned.





I came back from tour. Subbu was supposed to weld them. But he has gone on vacation. This work will be done next week.






1 comment:

  1. This is really nice thanks for make all aware about the rain gun sprinkler irrigation.

    ReplyDelete