Tuesday 8 May 2018

Wrong Fitting in Windpump

Today I made a startling discovery.  The one that will shame and nullify our 4 years of hard work. On my cellphone, I was just going through some of the snaps that I took while I visited the farm 2 weeks back.

The windpump as it stands now
Something struck me. While at farm, I had this sense that windpump was not working to full speed that I expected it to be.  Today I was playing a short video clip when it struck me that something is wrong with the propellers.  I cross checked in the web on how generally the fins of the properller (called rotor) should be arranged.

What I found was that our windpump did not have their fins fitted as per aerodynamic rules.  They were fitted wrongly.  However it was serving the purpose. It is rotating.  It is pumping water.  But could have done more.  I guess the technicians who came and installed few years back had made this mistake.  No one noticed the fundamental flaw since then.

Rest in pictures.

I called Subbu and did whatsup of some snaps for reference. Asked him to go through and get back. He did not call back. He did not realise the mistake. I explained.  He could not belive. He was angry, prepirating. He had worked with windpump for all these years.  God knows how many times he climbed to stop that, paint that, oil that and connect the rods whenever there is a repair.  Today his fundamentals has got shattered.

He said it will cost to build a ramp and hire labor. I said we must do. There is no choice. We are going to correct this.    We must correct this so that we get maximum out of this machine that we have invested.

I have high hopes on this windpump. I am glad I discovered it.

Play the video attached below. Notice the rotor blades. They are fixed with convex side in front. It must be the concave side in front. The correct picture is given below.




The beautiful windpump amidst vegetation. I have high hopes on this. We will correct the error soon.


The correct position given for illustration. Notice the pipes supporting the fins must be outside. The cusp must be outside.

Another example

And another one.






No comments:

Post a Comment