Thursday 6 February 2014

Neighbour's Crops drying in front of my eyes

The adjscent farm sported green paddy field. Small plot though. The land was dry and cracking. Closer inspection showed the plants were bit tired and had undergrowth. When enquired they said there is no water to irrigate. The farmer was expecting rains which did not come. The paddy has almost grown, but not there yet.

My neighbour's farm. Drying...
It looked very ackward. I have heared of farmes making loss due to failed rains. But seeing in front of you is different experience. There could be well water in another 100 meters. But the poor farmer did not have resource to pump it to save his crops. Perhaps the owner of well may not be in good terms with his neibhours. Perhaps Rain is reason. Or perhaps Govt Schemes on water resource failed. or that he had chosen an hybrid variety which cannot withstand drought or it could be simple stupidity on the farmer to have chosen a wrong season. Or it could be his dire poverty. 

My wife was asking "Why the farmer had left it like that. Almost abondaned a full grown plant which is in flowering stage?"  I had no answer. But i knew the answer. The small farmer is waging a lonely battle.  In chennai, i purchased a dozen of bananas for Rs. 46.  It had done up from 40 to 46. I asked why? He said "Sir agriculture is declining".

Perhaps there is an opportunity to help him. Next time. If only I set right my water pumping solution......


No comments:

Post a Comment