Monday 1 August 2016

Designing Vertical Wind Pump

We have failed in getting the small korean kerosene pump up and running.  It is unable to pull water. Pumps of similar capacity is used only in households to pump sump water to overhead tank.  For agriculture use it appears we need 3HP minimum. A kirloskar engine costs anywhere around 40,000.  Add a decent compressor 20000 and then mounting,  coupling and pipes. It will go above 80K.

Now vexed with searching for cheaper energy sources, decided to do something on my own.  I spoke to Subbu and told "we must do something".  No point in waiting for electricity board officials to move their ass.  Even if they at a later date, it is going to cost me lot of money.

Better design something which will pump water from borewell using wind once again.  Sitting at my desk on the week end I designed a verticle wind pump.   Explained this over phone to Subbu and Paramu and took assurance from Paramu he will not quit in between.  They were interested.  I am going to invest around 20K on this. It may result in a solution or may go waste.

Atleast let me try.

An elegant view from bottom. Also showing how the gears must be.
Here are my first cut diagrams. Inspired from Cup anemometer.  I am going to develop this further properly in the days to come. I will post this also in Facebook for my agriculture friends to copy and develop that in their neighborhood. backyard.  The design may look crude and not aero-dynamic. How does it matter ?  Butterflies are awkward in their flight design. But they migrate across continents !

I just want to create a competition among small farmers to get a better working solution.   In this area, I have seen enough of people claiming to have developed some windpump or other, but none of them have come to market so far.  Before a design matures, someone wants to hide it and never get it to masses.

Therefore it is better to leave it to community to develop the idea.  whoever can invest some money, sincerity,  faith and hard work - let him have it.  I am going to develop a miniature in ,my house. Meanwhile Subbu should start work near the farm. That will take time.

I just drew the below diagrams myself using sketchup. Amazing software. Just learned it couple of hours through youtube and went on creating shapes. It took around 10 hours. This is not drawn to scale. Neither I am an engineer.

These diagrams are not alone enough for my team to start the work. From my past experience I have learned that detailing is very important. Given a choice or freedom to think, they will end up creating something that will be very different.  I need to detail out upto mounting on the ground. This however is now enough to create enthusiasm and broad understanding.


A view from Top


Another view from top. Look at the blades. Initially I wanted this to be collapsable. but it is
difficult to intoduce complication at this stage. Let it get develop
The rotation should be converted to up and down motion. This will operate the manual
water pump below (not shown here).



No comments:

Post a Comment