Friday 5 August 2016

Verticle Wind Pump Design Change

I felt that verticle wind pump should be more simple to make and with available resources locally.  I feel it will be very difficult to mount the rotating main axis. The pole is supposed to rotate from ground upto a height of 20 feet.  That is going to put a lot of weight on the pivotal bottom.

Therefore I changed the design.  In the new design the windmill flaps will be supported by a large PVC outer pipe. This pipe alone will rotate. This will be coupled to a fixed flag pole through ball bearing.  Thus rotational part is limited only to propeller.

Note the PVC pipe from propeller placed over the fixed mast (yellow). The power will be
transferred using V Belt and flywheel. Later I want to replace this with
bicycle free wheel and chain.

Further the energy should be transmitted to the gear assembly through bicycle free wheel and chain.

I communicated this to Subbu.  In fact Subbu and Paramu are so enthusiastic they have already ventured to Valliyoor to inspect the old gears at a workshop.  That is good.

Today Subbu should take printouts of what I sent from the Valliyoor browsing centre.  He had already visited Valliyoor 2 times. I told him to go slow. But he would'nt listen.
This is how the finished one should look. Except for PVC modification

The handpump assembly. There will be a counter weight at the handle
this is to balance the weight of boring rods (not shown) deep in the well.
This way you can go upto 500 feet more even more.
With counter weights, the operation must be smooth and stress free.

Meanwhile my post to facebook is drafted and kept ready. I must try my hands on sketchup software to draw a cycle chain with links today.  That will complete my art work. I may post this tomorrow.

I am sure marginal and small farmers will benefit from this design. My guess is it should not take more than 30,000/- for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment