Monday 8 August 2016

My experiments on Vertical Windmill

My post on Facebook has invited a lot, but not huge response.  203 likes, 144 shares and around 25 comments. It has generated interest among few enthusiasts.  I had made a small "Do it yourself" pictorial guide in 10 slides in vernacular Tamil.  Why Tamil?, because this design I want to dedicate to small and marginal farmers who have small land holdings under 2 acres.  They are the people who are bullied a lot by so called corporate progressive farmers and policy makers.  If I post in English, except for the poor people this will get transmitted to all patent community, intellectuals and armchair philosophers who will endlessly argue on the (lack of ) efficiency of the vertical windpump concepts.

I hope like a bicycle, one day this design should freely be made available so that marginal & poor farmers can meet their small power needs in captivity. This will not generate electricity, but pump water using brutal force of wind in efficient manner.  When there is no wind, they can operate manually.



Back home Subbu and Paramu had discussed over the printouts. I am not sure how much they understood. I am scared they will do something without telling and get into trouble. This was always the case earlier. So I told Subbu to tell me before hand so that mutual value additions can be done.

 Today Subbu is busy with a local temple festival and Paramu,  the carpenter is free. I told Subbu to first install the Hand Pump which we have over the new Bore Hole. This hand pump was dismantled 3 years back when we purchased the ABS windpump.  It can be put to use now. I guess some spares have to be purchased.  The newly dug borewell has to be dressed as well.  That will keep them busy for next 10 days.  Meanwhile I can shape up the design of future Verticle axis windpump further before hitting the hammer.

I have also found a new idea of how to improve the efficiency of the pump further. I guess I need to make a scale model myself at home to prove all the points on a video. I had a major fundamental doubt on the working concept of the three V shaped wings model that I had designed.

Quickly i made a small model out of Paper, Pencil, sketch pen (for outer) and some wire.  Tested the working by blowing air from vaccum cleaner and hair drier to act as wind tunnel. I was utterly confused after the experiment. Blow this way, the windmill rotates anticlockwise way. Slight alteration and it starts rotating clockwise.   Sometime it stalls not rotating at all.  After many experiments I found these blowers are not good to generate natural flow of air.

So mounted the setup on the car and drove a few kilometers.  Was very much satisfied with results. Whew ! it works.  Here is the video link.










No comments:

Post a Comment