Wednesday 5 September 2018

Banana is a Loss

The only commercial crop that is ripe and ready to sell is banana in my farm. We started with around 200 trees. I am not sure how many are standing now. How many have been cut.  Because Subbu is in no mood to share that information with me.  He said he has removed substantial portion of banana after giving it off. He has jumped to next action plan already, meanwhile my mind is still loitering around banana and what next.

There is a reason why Subbu is silent.

Banana is not selling well in the market. Attached is a bill from the broker which says Rs. 70/-  (approx 1 dollar) for the bunch of 250 bananas and another rate for smaller bunch at Rs. 30/- (half a dollar). Atleast this is ok.  In subsequent bunches, they got so less price that we had to pay from our pocket for the transport.

Subbu is disappointed, so also me.  After all he had taken careof banana plants for 10 months day and night tending care, watering and growing it to see in full adult hood. When we visited with family we enjoyed that patch very well. Each of the taller than 12 feet are now sold for just Rs. 25/-.  Such is the nature of agriculture.

I must find a way out of this.  Perhaps chips, banana powder.... I spoke to subbu about these just to keep him happy and give hope.  To do that practically is difficult.

Anyway my inner thought says, why can't i take up the job of broker myself. I heared several farmers are giving away banana bunches for loss at this season. If only I collect all of them and sell it at a profit. May be to a far away place after paying toll and transport ?  



No comments:

Post a Comment