Monday 9 June 2014

Finally, the windmill installation starts today

After many months of anticipation, finally the work has started on installation of wind pump.  Yesterday night two ABS engineers have landed in train travelling around 1800 kms for the installation.  The fun is they know only Hindi and our friend Subbu knows only Tamil.  I had to translate for few calls right from guiding them through my mobile to a hotel, to reach the nearby town from where Subbu would pick them up.  I was astonished to find during one of the conference calls that Subbu is speaking Tamilish Hindi, good enough for both to understand.

The fun started with Subbu reaching  a town called Valliyoor today morning promptly at 7 AM to receive them, unaware that the engineers have alighted in Tirunelveli, both being around 40 Kms apart.  later both were made to travel to Nanguneri and shook hands. The city folks from Mumbai thought that places that I mentioned are at commutable distance by auto rickshaws.  They are unaware that in rural places, the distances are very large and people travel great distances every day easily through public buses.  With so much of oxygen around, you donot get tired in country side even if you travel for 100 kilometers. Rather you get much refreshed.

Today they have completed assembling a portion of tower, I learned. The boring well is now covered with hand pump. That need to be cut and removed.  Since there is no electricity, we need to call a gas welder to cut the cylinder, which is fixed in concrete. That work will be done tomorrow.  The work stopped at evening 6.30 when light fall.  The engineers will now be put in hotel at Valliyoor so that tomorrow they can be picked up again.

 They have to come to Nanguneri for taking lunch.  How do they travel?    Subbu told, sir that is easy.  We go thribles in my bike.  Why waste money sir on auto.  They are very comfortable on my bike.

Subbu mentioned he will make them stay in Farm itself. No bed, no pillow, no cover.  I asked him to put them in a hotel in Valliyoor so they get some rest. One must be used to staying in open farm without any facilities. Villagers would have grown a taste for it watching the open clear dark sky with studded stars.  You can see every constellation of stars that you every have heard off. You can even see The Milky way and Andromeda Nebula M31 if your eyes are keen.  Sometimes a passing jet will blink.  A satellite can be seen. International space station can definitely be seen as a Dot.  There is no city light anywhere near my farm. Ideal place for practicing astronomy.  (not the colourful morphed photos of Hubble telescope, but a real visual observation).

Of late Subbu likes to stay back in my Farm.  He likes the fresh air which is matchless.  When I go to my native place, I used to think if only I can package this air and take with me. So much refreshing the breeze will be which is coming from western ghats reserve forest.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment