Tuesday 24 June 2014

"Point Forest", creating a micro forest in farm

This fellow is after the nuts
I have this habit, while taking a walk along with my spouse every day.  Whereever I see any seeds, I pick and pocket them. Sometimes I have spoilt my pants. And seeds,  they are plenty everywhere on the road. Many a times I have been warned to behave civilized. But the sight of seeds attracts me so much, i start behaving like the scrattle (saber-tooth squirrel ) of The Ice Age.

Banyan Berries
Over a period I have accumulated different varieties of seeds, from road side, jogging park, public places and so on....  Even from fruits that we eat. They are all over my home. In cup board, inside fridge, my desk and hidden in my almairah to be forgotton.  The below beautiful berries for example were picked up near by office. They belong to Banyan trees. Ofcourse they were fresh and had some worms in it. I had to carry wrapped in table napkin paper, finally got squeezed and created mess inside my lapttop bag.  Neverthless there is a collection now of a small forest.

Different types of seeds collected
Point Forest : I would like to call this project as Point Forest, inspired by Telugu friends who open Curry Point on road side of Andhra Pradesh.  The curry points are small 10x10 shops selling all types of eatables, especially delicious curry.  "Point" because it is so small.

Carrying that forward, this Point Forest will be very small in size and sit at middle of a busy farm. To create it we will use concrete rings as shown in figure.  Put one of the rings on the mud in the farm, anywhere randomly, fill with nursery soil and spread the collection of the seeds. Water them regularly. My guess is that many of them will sprout at its own time creating small trees, bushes,  shrubs and so on.. Let it grow undisturbed in the midst the busy farm crops.

Why the Point Forest is required ?:   I presume that having such a small micro eco system within the farm, will create a resting place for small insets, birds and animals. It will increase the food chain, encourage their multiplication. What more ? if the plants are worthy, we can even replant them elsewhere and multiply. They will also add beauty and break any monotony. We can also get to grow what we want to grow.

Tailpiece: The cement rings can be painted Green.

I wanted to try this concept this month, but could not. As ground reality was different when I visited the farm which did not allow me to complete my agenda.  I cannot have spoken about these higher concepts, when basic things had to be paid attention,  I reserved it for some other time. Perhaps next month when the shower starts.  This one shown is my test PointForest that I created on a small pot in my balcony at Pune.  You can identify different trees and shrubs in their germinating stage. Nice little forest.  All these have come just by sprinkling the seed collection or throwing the seeds after eating the fruit and watering them daily.

***





No comments:

Post a Comment