Thursday 12 June 2014

Windmill Installation Update and my Journey to Farm

It is since 3 days that the installation started on the ground.  I learnt that at each stage they were facing some practical difficulties that required some "Jugad" Solutions.   For example tool kit did not have all spanners. Spanner 9 and 12.  Tower assembly need to be lifted up to keep it above head for working. That was done using the grated wooden packing box that came along.   The entire 150 feet pipeline is forgotten during packing. Anyway we can use the existing pipe which is already in use for the hand-pump. The entire pipe assembly need to be pulled out, the new pump fitted at the bottom and reinserted again.

Subbu has been asked to take photos at each stage.I did not press him to send it to me which will require him to travel to nearby town.  His priority was arranging logistics for the work to progress.

It should have been a great experience for Subbu and the crew.  Working in Hot Sun, taking rest in shade, drinking local cool drinks like Bovonto  eating out chappati, biryani and having tea with masala vada.   I am missing the action. The team consists of 1 engineer, a mechanic, Subbu, his assistant, few hired workers and some friends who are curious to see the bird coming to shape. I believe the executive engineer of electricity board, the Village officer and others also came to see the action.  This will soon to become a picnic spot with a windmill rotating all round and visible from far away distances.

Yesterday they completed assembling the tower, part of transmission and the rotor.  They attempted to lift the tower as per plan. Tractor was brought at 6.30 PM to pull the rope.  Electricity board was informed in written to switch of current which flows through a nearby electric pole (not the high voltage tower, but this is for neighbouring farm).  Just for a precaution in case the tower wire snaps and catapults on to the wire.   I believe they promptly did switch off at 11 am and switched ON at 4 PM. But due to light failure and want of pukka job after welding,  the tower lifting was postponed to today.  Because A frame did not come to shape, some pipes were sent to nearby village Parappadi for welding works.

I told safety is most important. Ask the tractor or the workers to pull it inch by inch. No hurry. No team spirit.  That will pump in more energy.  We need slow process.  Better to be pessimist.

Subbu told they have found a solution not to remove the existing Handpump base.  He explained me, I did not understand. I need to see what they did on my visit to my Native place to see my mother and to the farm, which I am scheduled to do day after tomorrow. My journey towards the farm will start today afternoon through Mumbai-nagarkoil express which will reach there day after tomorrow early hours after travelling 1800 Kms. I will utilize the time in train to read books and plan for a packed agenda of 3 days with family visit, temple visit, farm visit and so on.

**

No comments:

Post a Comment