Friday 16 January 2015

Happy Pongal in Farm

"A Happy Pongal" was celebrated in Radhamurali Farms.  It was a complete unplanned Surprise.

It started yesterday when I called Subbu to greet him on Pongal (14-Jan).  He mentioned that their family celebrated the Pongal in traditional manner at his house.  He is living with his father and joint family.  

Pongal is a Tamil Harvest Festival falling exactly on Jan, 14th every year.   It is dedicated to Sun God and nature in general.  First day is Boghi when they burn old things. Second day they cook pongal (Ghee, rice, jaggery) and third day is for Cows.  A New Mudpot will be decorated and kept outside each house amidst colourful rangoli,  flowers and sugarcane. Entire family will workship and thank the Sun, the cows and all agriculture implements.

While talking I mentioned him that next year we will celebrate togather in the farm. I was apologetic.  I have not had a proper celebration so far in the farm. We did not even have a proper inaugural function. This was in my mind always.  However I did not want to do until the farm comes to a shape.  I always wanted to show a proper farm when the first VIPs come for any function.  I also wanted to do a Cow Puja when the first cow comes.
Author's depiction of Pongal Celebration at Radhamurali Farms on 15-Jan-2015

He said that the ladies were asking if we can celebrate Pongal in the farm as there is a room.
I said "excellent !.    Please go ahead and celebrate tomorrow. Do spend what you want.  Please give Rs. 200/- each as Pongal bonus."  He immediately made a small plan of inviting his family and other families.

Today at 1.30 pm he called to say that they have celebrated Pongal. There were 10 children around and lot of adults. I asked how about lunch for them. They had actually made "Sugar Pongal" and therefore said we have enough food. I am relieved.

Good year Ahead !

No comments:

Post a Comment