Tuesday 13 January 2015

Subbu and Multitasking

I have been chasing Subbu and Paramu to do many things.  My urban corporate training has told me that multi-tasking is more efficient. Check mail while in meeting to the irony of speaker. check, SMS, Outlook and facebook in round robin fashion till you realise how stupid you are.

Write reply to mails and before pressing the send button attend to another mail which pops up, reply a chat then simultaneously and attend a phone and break for a coffee.  By the time you return to desk, the mail would have parked itself in draft folder never to be noticed.  Brooding over what to do next, we do nothing ever.
Subbu and Me

That does'nt work with Subbu. The more you tell, the less it will be done. One at a time. Complete execution.  It is easy to say that 'Subbu, I want the tank to be built, order some bricks, I have sent some money. Simultaneously when that work is going ON, think about the fence for the pond...." and so on.

When such conversation happens, Subbu will allow me to speak without uttering a word with regular appreciation. He knows when I am at my "High" I cannot be interrupted.  After all my lecture he will clamp me to the ground with some vague question or a current issue. That is his technique. Finally while summarizing, I will limit myself automatically to only one task.

After that he will be on his own. Complete empowerment granted.

Translating that into action, Subbu would be first checking from whom he can buy bricks. In village you have to go by one trustworthy supplier even if he is going to be absent for fifteen days, rather than burn your finger with unknown devil. Adventure will cost lot.

Then comes placing order on a good day, transporting the bricks by arranging a known vehicle, arrange manpower to download, purchase biryani (lunch) for workers and call it a day. Next day arrange for measuring tape, string,  cement, mixing tray, water, helper and so on..and keep chasing the mason.. Finally 5 days later and half way through they will ask fundamental doubt by calling me. "Sir, should I have to cement the floor?"

So out of long list of pending things, one work is so far accomplished in the past 10 days. That is building of compost tank 10 feet x 15 feet divided into 2 chambers. Bottom will be left as mud floor for water to seep in. Good Job.  Neat and clean.

My insistence on an emergency fencing around the pond is still pending for two months now. Money that is being sent to purchase sticks are being used for something immediate that Subbu thinks is more important.

Great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment