Thursday 29 January 2015

One more Milestone Achieved - Kollimalai saved me

I think this is personal, nevertheless something which every new agriculture aspirant should know.

My wife has always been opposing me doing farm activities. She knows she cannot stop me, but she could not tolerate either.  We have come to some sort of agreement over a period of time.  Ideally she wants me to do nothing new. On the contrary I want to do everyday something new.   Condition is that I must inform her before doing anything. But I DO it and confess later when confronted,  for she wouldn't let me do anything in the first place. But life is dynamic. everyday you have some development coming and it will not wait for opportune mood.  You take spot decisions and take the ire of it.   

Often she used to vouch that she will never visit my farm, ever. In such days, i cannot say what is happening in the farm and what i did that day.  As per Murphy's law "whatever can happen will happen" and will happen only on that day.  I put boring for example when we were at the peak of our fight. Obviously I told her a few days later that I did a boring and it cost some X money.  Hell broke loose again.   Now it is one of her permanent arsenal.

However by herself she watches more agri programs than me, fondles balcony garden, searches herbs and purchases millets after combing the entire market.  She gives useful tips to others too. She keeps talking about healthy food and hates commercial companies exploiting the innocent (food adulteration etc).  She would be more than happy to settle down in a village, but after "settling the children" which will happen many years from now. I cannot buy that (idea). There must be a middle path which we are trying to find.

I know things will change to my favor one day. and it did yesterday.

This is what she herself told me when I returned home in the evening.  There was a program about "Kollimalai" (A herbal mountain in TN) which she was watching along with children in the television. Usually she will give a running commentary  invoking them to appreciate nature.  She seems to have also told my son (12 years) that we must visit kollimalai, stay there for few days and explore around the forest collecting herbs and watching birds on our next vacation trip.

My son seems to have held her with both arms, looked into her eyes straight and asked this question.  "Mummy why are you talking about everything else except inviting us to visit father's farm".  My son likes insects and animals and used to ask many questions. He likes baby cows especially.

I think my family will work on the farm this summer for atleast a week or two.  One more milestone achieved.  I need to create a work plan for not only my family, but anyone who wish to come.

****


No comments:

Post a Comment