Monday 29 February 2016

Farm Update 29-Feb-2016

1.   Business as usual.   Just watering activity on the farm.  No new initiative.  The construction of sitting place and repair of green house is pending as Paramu has accepted some civil works and is away.  The farm is waiting for him.

2. Meanwhile the sand required for mixing concrete for the seats are being gathered by the lady staff from adjacent places.   Sand is everywhere around the farm, where top soil is eroded due to rains.  One has to just bring it.  I am happy we are just using the resources from around and not purchasing everytime.

3. I discussed with Subbu on farming activities and future.  My long standing dream is to grow many different varities of palatable vegetables and make it available to small vendors.  The small vendors - mostly ladies who carry vegetables on their head in a basket will go to nook and corner of villages and sell them.  I hope I can equip them with produce early in the morning. By noon they should sell out everything and earn 50 to 100/-.  They must have lunch in my farm.  It must be simple lunch with lentils and Dal (pulses) with rice.  They can go for 2nd sortie if possible in the evening or retire.  I hope we are somewhere 40% in this journey.

4.  Onion will be ready for harvest in a month.

5. The malligai (Jasmine) has started yielding. I believe a vendor is purchasing this every day @ 50/- per day.  That is good news.  Every day the jasmine is plucked and hung near the gate. The vendor will collect them and pay money.  This has been happening for the past 4 days.  Let me see......

6.  The reamaining plot where rain destroyed jasmine will also be planted with more jasmine.  I believe even the ones thought gone-case has sprouted.  That means Jasmine best-fits in my farm

7. I was discussing with Subbu to construct a 2nd water tank for the Windpump.  Presently we are getting more water, which is drained into the mud pond.  what if I store them high above in another water tank so that we irrigate vegetable plots from there. This 2nd one will be around 100 to 150 meters from the wind pump and will be at 15" high.  It must be in the same height of the earlier one so that when interconnected they share water.  Subbu said he wants to construct in the cheapest manner possible.  Something like putting a plastic tank atop a concrete single pillar.  Hmmmm... let us study some models around.

************


No comments:

Post a Comment