Friday 2 September 2016

Farm Update 02-Sep-2016

Going by the past postings, one would assume so and so progress would have happened in the farm.    It is but natural to think that water would have come through temperory electric pump,  Subbu would have progressed on fabrication of wind pump etc....  I would also expect the same.

But the reality is different.  The stark ground reality is more painful and  disappointing and agonizing.
Animals are risk when you bring electricity using wires from neighbourhood.

There is still no water. No wind in the past one week.   Wind has just started yesterday.   Subbu's attempt to get an electric motor has failed.  After putting the submersible pump at 300 feet with pipes and wire, the motor did not start.  Some issue in coil.  The guy who gave for loan services and circulates old motors. He had to come next day, take back and another day later supplied one more.  This seems to work. Yesterday for first time Subbu had operated it for 2 hours.

The process is to get electricity from neighbouring pump room that is 300 meters away.  That is illegal and hence cannot be fixed permanently.   It must be round sleeve,  single cable without any joint in between to avoid water risk.  It cannot be laid in day time also because of stray grazing animals like cow and sheep. Therefore only by evening can he connect there and switch ON here. If everything works he can operate for an hour or two.

That is the plan and it started yesterday. He said he has watered the drying trees first. This arrangement will continue till rain comes.

Subbu has no time to visit the browsing centre to check two mails I had sent him earlier.  It is about the progress I have made in my own fabrication.
The windpump will come up here.

Back home for the verticle windpump I needed a space where I can use my drilling machine freely. I also need space to do carpentary and masonary work to fabricate.   So far I have finished all welding job outside. I had discussion with my housing society office and got the 7th floor terrace. I purchased lock and key and shared with security, with one key with self.  The society office bearers were convinced about my initiative, were interested to participate perhaps in future. But presently they wanted to charge rent for the same.

When they were discussing about a forthcoming Ganesh festival event in which they wanted to bring someone from outside with a telescope for children to appreciate (an astronony session),  I intervened. I argued it will be disappointing for children to see through telescope standing in queue one at a time - total 30 children with telescope pointing to nowhere in the sky.  In September with cloudy atmosphere, amidst city light no celestial object will be visible if at all.

People generally expect Galaxies and planets to be visible in telescope as a disk. But will be disappointed for not seeing any.  I suggested let me give a lecture on Astronomy for one hour with audio visual.   They agreed and they said they will waive my rental.

So now I am busy preparing for my astronomy presentation for tomorrow.  I will introduce them to Cygnus constellation and the nebula, move on to Milkyway, then other objects, cover September launch schedule of various rockets, current inter-planetary missions and end with different deep space programs including cosmic ray observatories. The idea is to generate varied interest on fundamental research and distract them from only thinking about guided tour to NASA exhibition.

Now with deal fixed,   I also can peacefully start using my grinding wheel at the terrace and build my wind pump.   My wife however has objections (as always) and has sweared she will see the end of my work shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment