Tuesday 13 September 2016

Progress On verticle Windpump by 2nd Week September

The central mast stands majestic
To this will be attached "wings"
The last week progress on the verticle wind pump construction was satisfactory.  On the 7th floor terrace of my apartment, I had started my work of assembling, drilling and painting the parts.

Each time I have to take my car,  drive down to nearest hardware shop and purchase things.  For 1" pipe i had to go to specific welding shop as the pipe of required thickness was only available there. The conventional hardware shops have good looking stainless steel coated pipes (to be used as screen rods), but they are not strong.

The following things were completed

  1. Painting of A frame with rust free paint on top of existing one. I found rust on the frame because it was kept in Balcony among potted plants for long time.
  2. Purchase and installation of the main verticle pipe of 8 feet.  It required boring on that pipe to lift and fix as the height was not sufficient.  I had purchased 8 feet because it can be carried in my car from hardware store to home. 
  3. I learnt drilling on metal pipe. Initially it did not come. Then with a new bore bit and my bosch handheld drilling machine (10 years old), i was able to successfully make hole.
  4. Fixing of the main verticle frame that was made earlier to this A frame using steel wires and painting them also.  Here the A frame acts as a stand so that I donot have to spoil the common terrace. Otherwise for field installation the A frame is not required.  This A frame I made last year for my solar experiments.
  5. Fixing of ball bearing inside with rubber beading to fill the gaps.
  6. Miscellaneous activities like planning for the wings of the verticle windpump.  The wings or blades will be made of plywood. I chanced on the plywood store in my locality and took no time to decide.

The below video summarises what has been accomplished till now.






More photos have been added to existing album.  This album is continuously updated.

https://goo.gl/photos/Rb7tyMSsWqLzeNJHA

No comments:

Post a Comment